Thursday 24 May 2007

Mini-banner exchange

I have spent far too much time lately playing with Adobe 'Fireworks' software and making small-scale banners for websites and blogs. These mini-banners are very popular in the world of social bookmarking for 3 main reasons:
  1. Good publicity - a mini-banner offers more functionality that a mere text link

  2. Publishers like them - bloggers and webmasters are happy to host them as they are neat, compact and generally quite appealing

  3. They look good - it gives a positive impression about how you want your site or blog to be integrated into the internet community

The specifics are that they can be made up from .gif .png or .jpg files (no doubt other format will work, but these are the three types I have used) and in in general around 80-82 pixels long and 15-17 pixels high. I have used MSpaint (at the beginning) and fireworks (more recently) to ceate them, but you can use any graphics software that will allow you to manipulate the size, colour and text content.

I have recently completed six of these which I will paste here as examples:

mmmtalk forum mmmtalk Hill City Church Livewyre our blog review Munny4Hunny

I have the beginnings of an idea for a link exchange - If you host (any) two of the banners above on the sidebar of a blog or anywhere in a website - I will make a banner for you.....

So here are the rules: You must carry two of these banners complete with the hyperlink to their respective website - you can copy and paste the banner from here or link the 'src' code to their current 'home' on one of my sites.

Leave me a comment or send me an email and I will not only create a unique mini-banner for you (I'll even host it if you like), but I will paste the banner linked to your website in a update post on my blog. I retain the right to reject an application from a site that has questionable content... If you are not sure how to use HTML to insert these banners into your website, this will be addressed in my next posting....

I'm not promising artistic miracles since I am not at all talented in this area, however I will do my best, you can obviously dump it if you don't like my puny efforts...

Follow-up posts:

free mini-banners - part 2

free mini-banners - part 3

mini-banner update - part 4

10 comments:

stratz said...

Wow They are nice. I like them. what do you think of inviting ppl to test teh forum and get the posts count up before the rotator is in and workikng???

jay said...

the more the merrier....

J said...

I posted two of the banners, with links, on my blog, Gold Rushin'

Great idea, and nice work!

jay said...

Thanks - I will visit your blog and see if I can come up with something suitable...

stratz said...

oh yeah I also made a little post about this post on my blog too.. heop it bring you some extra ppl.

jay said...

Thanks Greg - will do a little something for the Stratz blog...

stratz said...

LOl ahh yo udon;t have too.. I have an idea for something later when I have time I will whip it up and make it work..

jay said...

well whip it up and make it work then...

B.C. Peterson said...

You throw a border, a gradient overlay, and different color text into a rectangle and call that a mini banner?! Those are weak. Seriously. Weak.

LiVEWYRE said...

Thank you for your interesting contribution Ben, most enlightening