Friday 18 May 2007

Practical help on how to post every day


If you do not enjoy the luxury of having the time to sit in front of your PC blogging all day, then you will need a strategy for keeping the posts flowing. My strategy involves writing several posts in one block and storing them as 'draft' posts.
Of course you don’t have to save your future posts in ‘draft’ and I guess not all blog services offer this facility (?) I use blogger. My original method of storage was an open ‘Word’ document physically located on my pen-drive.
That way, it doesn’t matter what PC I am using or where I am, I can add to my future posts at any time or copy and paste them to my blog.
On reflection, I should have thought about archiving all my posts locally in case I needed them in the future – I haven’t done it, I have just deleted most of the draft posts, but I think if I was starting again, I would keep a copy of all my posts somewhere in case I wanted to edit them and use them again.


One more tip for you, if you find that a post you are composing is getting lengthy – find a suitable cut-off point and turn it into two posts, one for now, and one for later. I guess my average word count is probably around 300 words or so, so when I get to over 500 words I start to look back and find where I have changed the angle or direction of the post. I separate it into two posts, pad out the separate sections and save one of them for another day. There is no set level of average word-count, my tip would be to find a blog that you enjoy reading and emulate the average word-count you find there. Some bloggers struggle to squeeze 50 words out, some can fill a page with fascinating copy...
If you were really focussed, there is no reason that you couldn't do a weeks worth of copy in one go and just post when needed (like storing up dinners in the freezer!). This would leave you free to concentrate on either builing up links or blogging for cash. In case the message of previous posts needs repeating - you can't take this approach with paid-to-blog offers as they are too dynamic and there is no guarantee that the offer is still on the table when you come to post it.



No comments: