Wednesday 11 February 2009

Why do I blog?

I don't tend to write much about my personal life and my reasons for blogging, yet in the blogosphere it is important to engage with your readers and tell at least a little of your story. I am by nature more of a private person, but thought it would be fitting to talk about my reasons for blogging.
I started blogging initially because I was getting into web site design and wanted to get some back links for a website - my first blog started as a kind of website building and SEO blog. After that I heard about being paid to blog and that intrigued me to the point where I had to find out if anyone could do it. This is how the Munny4Hunny blog began - as an investigation into online earnings. Roughly 2 years and about $2000 later, the blog has it's own domain but has seen quite a few changes in the paid to blog arena.
I was interested in paid to blog as my wife had decided to become a stay-at-home Mum, so we were reliant on a single income. I was interested in building up a bit of spare cash (Munny) so that we might be able to treat (Hunny) ourselves occasionally. The last four years or so have seen us turn around our financial situation as a family through neccesity. It's funny how when you are both earning, you don't worry so much about credit card bills... Since becoming a single income family, my credit card debt has shrunk from about £6,500 to around it's current level of around £600 - it won't be too long before it has disappeared and I can start saving money... This has been helped enormously by having a small online income - It doesn't pay any large bills, but it does supply a small stream of cash for those little purchases that otherwise eat away at your savings - To be fair a large proportion of the earnings are spent on computer bits and bobs, but if I didn't pay for them this way, I would be spending money that would otherwise be paying off the credit card.
That's a bit about me, feel free to leave a comment (I do follow...) and say why you blog, or why you would like to blog - or even why you don't...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I blog because I love to talk about stuff, meet people, and let's face it $5 for 60 words now and then - it's totally worth it!

Paid blogging has changed my world. I was a SAHM, who is now a WAHM, part time photographer, and I can actually buy stuff I want, because I blog.

So thats me.

jay said...

Long live PU2Blog... $5 for 60 words is OK by me... same here, I can buy 'stuff' without using 'real money' - it works for me - best of luck with your blogging and the plans for Australia.