Saturday 21 February 2009

My off-line pursuits

Anyone who reads my posts (if you can filter out the ads... ahem) will have an impression of someone who is always pulling their computer apart - which is true. But I am not limited to puling computers apart, oh no - in my 'spare' time I pull my house apart too!
Our house is still in a state of being 'done up' (you might be forgiven for thinking it had been 'done over'!) for the best part of ten years... In that time I have done quite a bit, but the things that remain undone are mostly very visible, whereas of the work that has been done, much has been invisible.
For instance, one of the first jobs that I undertook was the re-wiring of the house - you can't really see the results but at least the house was safe from that point on, and we now have enough outlets for all the appliances (I do believe that there are actually more than twenty five sockets in our kitchen!!).
We have aimed for wood flooring throughout by sanding down the original floor boards except where there were tiles (kitchen and hallway). The original tiles were evocative of the age of the house but were just too broken up and we have replaced both kitchen and hall tiles (admittedly we had a tiler in to do the floors, I wasn't allowed to have a go myself!). There was a point where I removed the carpet from the dining room, noticed some woodworm-eaten floorboards, so removed the floorboards. It then became obvious that the under-floor joists were also in a sorry state, so I took those out too until there was nothing left!! It took me about eighteen months to get around to putting it all back with brand new joists (I have the photo's somewhere...)
We are about half-way done but hopefully next half won't take another ten years .....

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Your wife must be tearing her hair out! I guess it is better than being capable of nothing like my husband and I who almost had to call a plumber to fix a leaking loo but fortunately sussed it out in the end.

LiVEWYRE said...

Ha Ha well done with the leaky loo...
and yes... she is tearing her hair out!