Saturday 28 July 2007

Hijack this - free software


HijackThis log file analysis as recommended by LinkyLove

Hijack this is a free program that I used to use more often when I was using Windows 98 Operating system. It is a program that scans your system and reports on all the processes that are running. It scans selected zones of the registry and hard-drive to detect any settings that might not be as expected - reporting all findings in a list. This list can be saved as a log file, to be opened in a text editor. There is a guide on how to use the program online here.
I found it easier to take the contents of the file and post them here. The 'HijackThis.de' website is not officially part of the software, but is a service provided by a third party. This site is able to automatically analyse the contents of the text file, giving you a report that you can examine for malware. If you find setting that need removing, go back to the original anlaysis screen and check the boxes next to the items you want to remove. Be aware though, that this is a powerful tool and you should be really sure you want to alter these settings - if you're not sure get some advice from one of the many HijackThis forums - I found a good one here...

I should say that I advise everybody who uses free software to abide by the rules of use, and if you find something really useful, you should support the product or service by donating where appropriate.

4 comments:

Linky Love said...

Ok Jay: I leave a comment and you make it in a post, good idea!

I agree with Jay: let hijack this make a log of your file and post it in one of the forums.

And a new task for Jay to write about :twisted: AntiVir is a freeware antivirus that gives free updates as well. Finding things that my "forgot to update" McAffee didn't find.

jay said...

I indicated in the forum (mmmtalk) that I would link to anyone who gave me an idea for a post - Thanks for the tip on :twisted:

Linky Love said...

Oh I see, I have a very good idea: you can make a lot of money doing boobjobs in Mexico :-) All you need is a bed, knife, plastic bags, pump, lots of alcohol : both to clean wounds and calm down the patient before and especially after...

Anyways, just need to get back to the mmmtalk: if there was real money for grabs in stead of a price, that would be an incentive (greedy greedy)

jay said...

how about transplants - two errr... birds... with one stone.....twice the cash (bit messy though)