Saturday 12 March 2011

Free software alert!


I am always on the lookout for free software, and think I have found another winner!
'LogMeIn' provides a free service for remote access to a PC, for instance, so that you can access your home PC from work, or your work PC from home (assuming you have permission from work to do either of these things..).
In the past I have used Radmin and have been very pleased with the results - however you have to pay for each new PC you add to your Radmin account. This rivals the service 'GoToMyPC' which charges quite a steep monthly fee (in my estimation).

When you sign up for 'LogMeIn' (www.logmein.com), the PC's you add will automatically be assigned to a free trial (30 day) of LogMeIn Pro. However, at the end of the trial, I am assured that these will revert to LogMeIn Free if I choose not to purchase a licence for the Pro version.
The Pro version offers file transfer and other features which I do not think I will need, so I fully intend to let my account become downgraded to the free version - I will post again about any short-falls I detect in the Free version, but so far I am impressed with this free software.
I am particularly impressed with how easy it is to add PC's to your account. With Radmin I had to set port forwarding on my router, no such issues with LogMeIn - just download the software onto the PC you want to be connected to remotely (even if it's on a network) - it's that simple....should I be worried about that??

February 2014 - update about LogMeIn free service

No comments: