Sunday 8 August 2010

Getting organic traffic - part 6

Yes Part six!!! who would have thought it?
Well I am pretty sure that this is the last of my traffic-building tactics, and it is one that is fairly obvious since the whole point of these services is that they drive traffic to your site. I am, of course, talking about 'digg it', 'stumble upon' and all those services that are just waiting to promote your stories and posts.
Personally I use these services sparingly, but if I think I have written a particularly topical, poignant or pithy post, I will blatantly plug it by submitting to these types of sites. After all, I would wait an age for someone to randomly do it for me, I am merely speeding up the process...
Timing is of the essence, it's like trying to catch a wave when surfing - you may find yourself uncovering hundreds of visitors, just a few or barely any at all. Nevertheless it takes a few seconds to submit, and at least half the time I find a well-written report on the post I have just written, will bring in a significant amount of traffic even if just briefly.
These services are being constantly updated of course, and you are only 'current' for a very small window, so the impact is often swift and impressive - a day later, any effects will have all but disappeared..
I use them equally for website stuff as well as for blog posts. I have some web pages which I feel provide decent information that I want to get 'out there'. These services work for us in two ways, firstly by providing a platform to submit our own stuff to get initial visitors, secondly (if you provide a 'submit' widget in the page) for visitors to 'vote' for our content and thus promote it once more in the community. For the website pages, I expect to see the votes grow to a decent level over time, whereas for the blog posts, I am just looking for an 'instant' return...
This concludes the latest mini-series on Munny4Hunny, if you have any comments, please leave them and I promise to respond...

Others in this series:
Part One - Introduction 'what NOT to do...'
Part Two - Having the right content
Part Three - You Must get your head around RSS
Part Four - You must engage with social networks
Part Five - Seeking out traffic

No comments: