Saturday 7 August 2010

Getting organic traffic - part 5

I am mildly surprised that I have managed five posts in this series, I guess there was more to this than I thought at first....and I haven't finished yet!
This post concerns the tactics that I usually think of as the traditional ways to build blog traffic although these tactics are my no means limited to blog promotion.
  1. Reciprocal visits: This is a kind of hard foot-slogging way of getting traffic (which is maybe why I have left it 'til the last installment..), but effective nonetheless. Visiting blog that are within the same broad topic as your own blog or website, and leaving relevant comments (and your URL) are effective ways of attracting visits from a like-minded audience. First off - only do this if commenting allows you to leave your URL in the comment or as part of your 'signature'. Secondly, don't ever spam! Leave concise well-thought out comments that might inspire readers to click on the link and find out more. You are probably wasting your time if you comment on older posts, the more recent they are, the more effective your commenting will be. At the very least, the post-writer will visit your blog (I know I always do...) and you may even attract other commenters to visit your blog/site too.
  2. Forums: There are forums for every topic under the sun, it should not take too long to uncover a forum that deals with topics close to your own. Join the forum, and like the commenting above, make good suggestions and leave your URL in your signature. You should find that even idle curiosity will force some visitors to come to your site if nothing else...

I have one last installment to add to this series, and this is probably the most effective method that I have discovered for sending decent amounts of traffic.

Others in this series:
Part One - Introduction 'what NOT to do...'
Part Two - Having the right content
Part Three - You Must get your head around RSS
Part Four - You must engage with social networks
Part Six - Using bookmarking sites

No comments: