Tuesday 2 April 2013

Gift Boxes

This coming month is packed with birthdays for my family, and finding the perfect gift for each individual is not easy. The gift itself can say a lot about how you regard someone, but just as important is presentation or the packaging of the gift itself. There is a world of difference between dumping a gift on someone straight from the shop in a carrier bag (maybe with the price tag still on), and taking care to find the best way to 'present' the present ... Some gifts are best put into boxes before wrapping, while some gifts may be ideal for using specially designed gift boxes. Gifts such as toiletries or candy may be ideally suited to being wrapped in organza bags. I always keep a plentiful supply of small boxes around the house (usually in the loft) for presents, as having an awkward shaped gift in a box makes it a lot easier for wrapping with conventional gift wrap. The old adage 'it's the giving that counts' holds a lot of truth, especially as we become more discerning. True enough a small child really doesn't care too much about presentation, but as we get older we appreciate that someone has taken care in the presentation of the gift, even if the gift itself is not terribly exotic or expensive. We all understand the difference between getting a 'stock' gift such as socks for Christmas, and getting a thoughtful gift which may have cost the same as socks, but will have been bought with you in mind. Personally, I love it when someone gets me the 'right' wine as a gift - it shows that they have taken time to find out what I like. It's not like I have expensive tastes, I am happy with the bargain bottles, but I prefer red and I prefer it to be from South East Australia. So when I am presented with the 'right' gift, I am touched because I know that the giver has taken care to find out what I like. It doesn't take a lot to package a gift in a way that demonstrates thoughtfulness, and if you are looking for a great resource for gift packaging ideas, you can Check it out here. Let's face it, we all light up when we see an attractive gift - that first impression counts for something!

No comments: