Saturday 13 April 2013

Gibson Les Paul

I am no guitarist, I have 'dabbled' with both guitar and bass and can squeeze a noise out of them, but honestly don't see myself as being competent on the instrument at all. However I have a great interest in musicians and their instruments and am firmly of the belief that the Gibson Les Paul is surely the king of guitars.
Yes there are other classics, rock instruments that are the standard classics that every professional will have used, but the Les Paul for me is the one that turns my head. I admit that one reason is that it looks great, but I also love it for the tone. When I see a guitarist with a Les Paul I expect so much more..
Some guitars 'shout', the output is frequently over-driven and distorted to get the right sound, the Les Paul 'sings' with a pure clear voice. When you hear George Benson play, you are entranced by the way he uses the Les Paul almost as another singer, he even performs 'duets' with his own guitar.
When George Harrison wrote 'my guitar gently weeps', surely he was thinking about a Les Paul?? You might have guessed... but I just LOVE this guitar, I'll probably never have one, but if I ever went looking for a guitar, I would want a Les Paul even though to be brutally honest, I don't think I could do it justice...

No comments: