Sunday 27 April 2008

Using character and voices

I realised while I was creating a previous post that I had wandered into an area that requires further explanation. I talked about remaining true to yourself or your 'character'. By character I am referring to blogs that are written in a specific style which is not the writers natural style. I know of one blogger who has written posts on a blog assuming a specific character, when I visited another of his blogs, the style of writing was so refined in contrast that you would not know it was the same person. The writer had assumed a persona for the purpose of writing on a specific blog.

Building a character helps to build an interest in your blog, in the same way that a 'shock jock' builds up his listeners. You don't have to use 'shock' tactics, though that might be appropriate... you can use any sort of style you want, but retaining that style will be essential to maintain your audience who will grow to expect consistency. If they were to 'hear' a different 'voice', they may feel that they have been misled or their interest in the blog may wane. I have never actually tried this tactic personally, though I have been tempted. I would love to create a blog with a truly obnoxious personality but with a lot of humour... Don't be surprised if this turns into my next project...!

No comments: