Friday 22 February 2008

First steps in SEO

I have talked about simple SEO [Search Engine Optimisation] and practiced some SEO on other websites, even getting good levels of success doing just that in my day-job. I have not as yet, really got to grips with SEO on a blog. Today I took the first simple steps to rectify that and placed some meta-tags in my blogger template.
There is some debate over whether there is any value in 'keyword' since it has been over-used and abused in the past, yet the consensus is that when used properly, it may help and can certainly do no harm... If you don't believe me take a look at the HTML of the home page at eBay - they certainly know how to get a site noticed, and yes they use keyword along with 'description' and 'title'.
Now 'title' already exists in the blogger template and can be edited in blogger settings, but there is no 'keyword' or 'description', so why not put them in? I went to blogger dashboard, layout, edit HTML and just placed in the tags and saved the template. Simple huh?
If you want to know more about what the tags look like, there is an article on Livewyre.NET discussing tags and their format... feel free to click on 'view/page source' in your browser to see the tags in place on munny4hunny.

No comments: