Saturday 30 June 2007

Click programs - why I won't be doing it...

It's your choice but I don't think this is a great way to 'earn'

I see lots of people promoting click programs - I will not be doing that here as I don't really like the way that this type of scheme works. A lot of people regard paid to blog as demeaning, and I am inclined to agree to a point. For me paid to click is one step further... after all, you can't say that you have any real positive input into the process.

What's wrong with it - I have a sneaking suspicion that advertising sales people are selling their schemes by guaranteeing advertisers that they will be exposed to a set number of viewers regardless of the 'quality' of the visitor - The client surely doesn't appreciate that their 'visitors' will be people who are paid to click and view their advert with no interest at all in the 'product'. I don't have any inside information, but put it like this:
Logically why would people pay you to click on adverts or read emails..? Because the advertiser thinks they will get a 'return' from their investment in terms of sales revenue. Does anyone participating in paid email or advert-clicking buy the products??? I suspect not, because they are only there to earn a few cents for opening emails and clicking... They have to get through these without wasting time in order to accumulate enough revenue to make it worth while. Does the advertsing company know this? yep - Does their client know this??? The only conclusion I can reach is that NO they don't otherwise why would they participate?
I realise that my view may not be popular, but there you go - it's out there now, I've said it! Please let me know if you have a different view and especially if you know anything about what keeps paid to read and paid to click schemes going...

5 comments:

J said...

I agree that your view might not be popular, but I'm similarly inclined. I signed up for a paid-to-read email scheme but found it a nuisance and rather petty.

I'm also a bit cynical about paid to blog opportunities but I think they are more justifiable -- you are being paid for performing a service rather than providing a somewhat suspect audience for low quality advertising.

J
Gold Rushin'

jay said...

Thanks J - I think once again we are on the same page...

MHJ said...

I agree, Jay. It doesn't make any sense to pay people to click, because they probably aren't going to buy anything.

However, there is a chance that *some* people will actually buy the product. When I worked in retail, we'd spend hours making fancy displays for products that people probably wouldn't buy except we made them look so great, that they couldn't stop themselves from buying them.

Of course, we had a lot of people trying to return items once they realized how spontaneous and dumb their purchase was. LOL

PS: Thanks for the lovely icon! If I change mine, I'll definitely let you know!

stratz said...

Hey Yeah Nice new fav icon or what ever it is called. also is there somethign wrong with yoru site.. the left side bar of everytign there has not been showing up all the time. Maybe it is just me.

Months almost over. I wonder what will be instore for us next month.. If I only had more free time to spend online

jay said...

@PC - yeah I used to work in retail to... I really doubt that pay to click 'workers' are going to blow their hard earned clicking cash like that, and my suspicion is that the advertiser isn't aware of that...

@Greg - it's just you...I hope! I switched out of IE, I only use Firefox now -try it...