Tuesday 7 September 2010

Good at teaching..

A truism struck me today as I was browsing 'Yahoo answers' - I often browse through and distribute my 'wisdom'... ha ha
What struck me was this - an answer might be technically perfect, but the way in which you put the answer over is just as important as knowing your subject. In the same way as a research Professor might know it all, but be useless as a teacher because he cannot adequately convey his meaning to a pupil. Knowledge is imperative, but it does not automatically qualify you to teach the subject to a third party, because teaching is a skill.
I have often thought the same about managership - just because you are good at your job does not mean that you will be a good manager in your department, because management of people is a skill that needs to be developed and honed.
I have a friend who is a policemen, he never wanted to take his sergeant exams because he loved his job. He knew that promotion would mean he would be distanced from the hands-on tasks he enjoyed and turn him into a man-manager. It is only recently, now he is thinking about a final-salary pension, that he has given in to thinking about climbing the ladder of promotion.

Well, that's my thought for today.... hope you enjoyed it.

No comments: