Thursday 23 April 2009

How contextual are your ads?

I had a bit of a 'LMOA' moment yesterday when browsing some sites. I was on a rapper website page and it was monetised with adsense as all good blogs should be (!) - Funny thing was the actual ads that came up... the first one was legit, but the second one...?
take a look at the screen-shot...

I have noticed myself that sometimes the contextual ads have flimsy links to content, but I don't think I have ever seen quite such an inappropriate one...

Google Adsense is reportedly going to concentrate on adverts geared towards the interests of the person browsing, and to my way of thinking that will fundamentally change the way that Adsense is perceived.
I and many others, have built pages and have added Adsense safe in the knowledge that the adverts will reflect content - the idea that the adverts will reflect subjects that the visitor has demonstrated an interest in previously, changes significantly the triangular relationship between host, visitor and the contextual adverts. Whether this turns out to a good or bad development remains to be seen.
And by the way, I assure you that I have not demonstrated an interest in the M&S Maternity Collection, so somehow that advert was prompted by the content (maybe repeated lyrics of 'baby, baby'... who knows??)

No comments: