Friday 14 November 2008

Size Zero

I heard something said the other day which I feel I must address, the implication of the piece was that women pursued 'size zero' at the behest of men - As a man I refute this entirely, I know of no man who would specify a size zero on their list of attractive traits in a female.
So where does this idea come from? In a word 'fashion' - sometimes it is 'fashionable' to have curves, other times it is fashionable to look like you should be in rehab. My supplementary point is this...
Do you believe the fashion industry to be dominated by heterosexual males??
I thought not... so I rest my case, size zero is a preference expressed by the fashion industry and is demanded by fellow-females and men who are not especially attracted to the female form.
When we are looking for someone to blame for the proliferation of diet pill and diet plans, don't look at your average bloke. You will find more about this fascination with size in any womens magazine than you ever would in a mens publication, and I would say again Do you think your average bloke even reads a mens mag?
Now I would not refute that men might be more interested in enhancement than down-sizing, but I would refer anyone to those TV programs where women are considering enhancement procedures. In almost every case, their male partners did not want them to go through any surgery - so if not for their partners, why do they want to be a different shape? The answer in almost every case is for confidence, confidence in the presence of men?? No think again...
I don't wish to try to make out that men are blameless, but let's redress the balance of thinking a little here - I am happy to state that I believe that men are not responsible for the size zero phenomenen.

No comments: