Wednesday 8 October 2008

Shift of emphasis

Over recent months I have been exploring niche blogging as a way to raise revenue and have reached the point where I am beginning to get some results. I have discovered that niche blogging is largely a trial and error pursuit, some niches work and some are a washout or need to be exploited in a specific way.
I have broadly looked at the areas of sport, travel and finance, and of these the finance niche has given the best results, but each blog has it's own market and personality stamped on it, so simply pointing to 'finance' as being a successful niche is really only a fraction of the story.
Any niche can be successful if approached in the right way, and the following points sum up my approach to this type of blogging for the future:

  • It is far better to blog on a dot com with a strong branding which will help people to remember your URL without even using their 'favourites' - this is becoming increasingly difficult as more domains are being sold each day...
  • Integrate monetisation and adverts into the blog so that they flow and look as professional as possible (Adsense etc..). Try to keep adverts/links within your niche.
  • Have good resources available to use for research for your posts - but write everything in your own style with plenty of your own opinion and personality showing through the content. This includes any paid postings you might be doing. Customise your template so that you are not simply using a 'look' or template that your visitors will have seen before on a hundred other blogs.
  • Don't forget to go and find like-minded blogs and sites, leave your comments and offer links and link exchanges to the best ones.

Using these methods I have discovered that you can get reasonable Adsense earnings from blogs, I was previously of the opionion that this was only possible with a full-blown website... I still do earn more from my website (I also get more traffic to my website), but I am discovering for the first time that I have at least one blog that is contributing well and enabling me to currently be paid by Google around once every two months or so. I will probably let this particular blog run for a few more months and then do some meaningful studies to see if there are specific lessons to be learned that I can share...

No comments: