Tuesday 7 October 2008

Job Description - who are you?

Job descriptions help to define us, not only in a work context but also in society as a whole. You can be sure that the nagging question a stranger will always want to ask you soon after starting your first conversation is 'What do you do?'
What they really want to know is what your job title is...

I happen to have a job that has multiple roles, I can be working on the technical side maybe on a construction site all kitted up with safety gear. I could be at my laptop submerged in a website adding content and optimising for SEO. I could be on the 'phone offering sales and technical support to our customers or in the workshop helping to develop new products...

I struggle when it comes to providing meaningful job descriptions as my role frequently changes not just from day to day but often hour to hour.

No comments: