Monday 20 October 2008

Blogging tip

I have noticed that I go through a ritual when posting on a blog, and I wonder if enough people do this? I first write the article, and more often than not, go looking for a suitable image to post alongside the article - a picture is worth a thousand words and all that... If the blog has a themed look I will probably import the picture into fireworks and manipulate it accordingly - which usually entails cropping, applying a colour tint and shrinking it to an acceptable size. If the picture is crucial, I might then host it myself so that a reader can click on it to expand it - otherwise I let blogger host it for me.
I make sure that there are tags - on my niche blogs I only ever add a new tag if I really must, mostly I pick from the existing tags. On my latest blog I also add some links to similar articles at the end of the post - this achieves two goals; good practice for SEO to link similar articles on any website, and also it gives the reader somewhere to go if the subject interests them - after all, I am hoping to get some search-engine traffic and where one blog post has been picked up in the search results (rather than the home page) - it makes sense to draw the reader in with your closely -related content.
When all of this is done, I will post the content (often I have posted the content, and then decide to add some links to other pages), and crucially I will then proof-read the whole post, and this is the thing that I notice other bloggers have not done sometimes. I will correct all the spelling and grammar mistakes and maybe change something that doesn't scan properly, then post again and read again until I am happy that it meets my standards.
This does not mean that my posts are faultless, but it does mean I am careful to give a good impression. I am put off by 'lazy' posts that do not scan properly, have bad spelling or use text-speak and I would expect my readers to be equally critical. If I want to establish a style and demonstrate my writing skills, proof-reading will help to give me an extra edge.

No comments: