Saturday 23 April 2011

Fort Worth flower delivery

Searching for what you want on the internet is simple enough, but I have noticed recently that adverts are being targetted on the locality of the person browsing - or at least on their perceived locality. For instance you may see an advert for Fort Worth flower delivery when you are browsing the internet from the comfort of your home in...Fort Worth.

The advert priovider uses the IP address of your computer to work out where you are located. It is not always right as these things are not always straightforward, however more often than not, they are fairly accurate.

I don't particularly mind this type of advertising although some people see it as a breach of their privacy. I don't think it is any different to advertising in a local magazine, and seeing as I make some money from adverts, I can't really object. I have found that even though I am unlikley click on a locally-targetted adverts, There is every chance that I will take notice of the company and will probably remember the advert if I actually did want a service that they were offering at a later point in time.

No comments: