Thursday 14 April 2011

Log Me In

I have been using 'LogMeIn.com' for a little while now, long enough for the free trial to have ceased and I am now running the free version.
LogMeIn is a service that allows remote access via the web between computers. I use two laptops at work and two desktops at home - they all have the software installed so I can access any of the four computers now from the web.
Although I have been downgraded to the free service, it still has all the features I need for simply checking my OUTLOOK inbox, or accessing the works database from home. The free version does not have file transfer capabilities, but I can always send files via email if I need to. I am sure there are other fuseful functions that are missing from the free version, but as far as I can tell, it does what it says it will, and allows remote access for no monthly fees...
I use 'Radmin' for the same thing at the moment, and that had an initial startup fee - however I can only ever use it on a single licence, LogMeIn Free allows me to add as many PC's as I want to my account, so I doubt whether I am ever going to need to use Radmin again (although it does have the missing 'file transfer' feature that LogMeIn Free does not have).
As far as free software goes, I am ranking this one up there with OpenOffice and AVG and all those other top free software titles that we tend to take for granted.

February 2014 - update about LogMeIn free service

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you need file transfer capabilities, you may use the free version of TeamViewer. That's what I do for home use. It is a very popular free remote support tool, and I think you've heard of it. For commercial purposes, I use Techinline (http://techinline.com/). Although it is not free, it is very cheap ($3 per session or $300 per year)and powerful (and it allows you to transfer files as well).