Wednesday 18 November 2009

Locked in!


One of the recurring themes of this blog is my successes (and more often failures) with DIY projects in my home. Well, this week I noticed that one of the doors I had previously refurbished had a handle that was playing up. It had always needed to turn anti-clockwise to open, and suddenly it wanted to be turned clockwise...
If this happens to you, CHANGE THE MECHANISM!!
After a couple of weeks of this, I shut the door behind me today to discover that it would not open again... particularly 'inconvenient' as I was actually IN the bathroom. No amount of manipulating could persuade the door to open - I calmly went through all the options, but eventually I resorted to kicking in the antique door (see the broken panels in the picture) as there was no-one else in the house and I was going to be late picking up my daughter.
I got a cut hand and cut ankle for my troubles, but I learned a valuable lesson about taking particular notice of door handles that don't behave themselves. The next time I come across this, I will be immediately removing the door-lock.

No comments: