Saturday 4 August 2007

Portugal blog competition

Now here's a competition that is going to be easy to enter since I have been to Portugal and would recommend it to anyone... It will complete my entry here and give you a quick overview of what you must do to take part.

Firstly I have to say that my experience of Portugal was not typical... it rained for almost the whole time we were there, we made the mistake of taking a 'last minute bargain' which turned out NOT to be any sort of bargain at all...
There are some beautiful places to stay in Portugal, we were unlucky and got randomly placed in a fairly undesirable tower-block - so first off, check your accommodation out in a brochure and don't trust to a last-minute 'bargain'.
The weather was dull to wet until the last day, we had packed our unopened sun cream ready to come home and, would you believe it, actually got burned in the scorching sun whilst waiting for the coach to arrive...
Despite these set-backs, I would thoroughly recommend Portugal as a holiday destination to anyone who asked me - why?
  • FANTASTIC FOOD!
  • Lovely beaches
  • warm friendly people
  • fascinating scenery
  • and did I mention the fantastic food... oh and the cheap wine!!!! the list goes on -
Would I go back? you bet your sweet life I would! I loved the way you can get Sea Bass straight from the sea, covered in rock-salt and cooked before your eyes to perfection on a barbecue. I loved the cuisine, in the Alentejo district I had the local speciality of pork and mussels !! What a stunning combination (I think I have my facts right, but it was a while ago...). I had ostrich steak form a loacl ostrich farm...and the wine... the wine... about half the price or less of what we pay at home. (You may guess that my holidays are rated by what is available on the menu!).
We found people helpful and friendly, I hired a car and we drove around everywhere.. the locals have a habit of what we call tail-gating, but there's no aggression in the driving. If you like golf (can't afford it myself) then you will think you are in golf heaven if you land on the Algarve with your golf sticks... (I know it's clubs, I'm just having a laugh....).

If you want to have a go at the competition yourself then..

visit Portugal page at Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portugal

post about Portugal on your blog in portuguese or english)…

on that post let people know about this competition

add a comment here, with your Blog URL, use your paypal as email for the comment…

10 ($10each) winners will be chosen before the end of August


6 comments:

Linky Love said...

Bom Dia O Senhor Jay :-)

Como vai?

Can you betatest and add your blog at:
http://www.linkylove.net/addyourlink ?

Thanks!

jay said...

I am well thank you - I will try that link now...

MHJ said...

Jay! I might be overlooking it, but what is the prize for this event?

jay said...

It's right at the bottom of the post.. 10 prizes each of $10

Belinha Fernandes said...

I see that you really loved portuguese food!I'm affraid weather is quite untypical this year.I had only a few good days at the beach and I am still kind of waiting for Summer to arrive!Oh, yes, you also loved the wine.When I go abroad I miss those two things too!It's nice to read that we have warm friendly people.Sometimes I'm not so sure!Oh yes, beaches.Well, I live at the beach.Water is pretty cold, the wind is allways blowing my hair out of my head, sand is allways dancing in the air.Nice.In August I can't park my car anywhere, I walk all time.I'm asked several times in spanish,english and french for the directions to the camping park.Food prices go up.Local restaurantes are so full that I prefer to eat home and save the romantic dinners to Winter time...Suddenly on 31st August everybody vanishes.The city a becomes a ghost city again...until next year.

jay said...

hey Belinha
Yes I am a confirmed foodie... I guess living in a holiday destination has it's downside. Thanks for your comments.