Tuesday 20 July 2010

Pagerank for Munny4Hunny

I did not quite believe my eyes the other day when trying out the Google Chrome SEO plug-in - I have been using this to run quick tests on my sites. the SEO plug in showed a pagerank of 1 for this blog - it has been a long long time since I have had any PR at all, so at first I was a bit skeptical. Since then I have tried a pagerank checker: http://www.prchecker.info/check_page_rank.php and sure enough, that also says I have regained pagerank on this blog...

I have not been pursuing PR at all for quite a while, so it is quite a pleasant surprise to see it return even though I doubt whether it makes any real difference except for prospective advertisers. I have long begun to disregard PR as having any real value, especially as I have (in other experiments) been able to have sites ranked very highly (ie. up to position 1 locally and position 2 globally) for keywords on sites that have no PR whatsoever. The main focus of SEO has to be search position alone, and if you can get search position without PR, why bother going to the trouble of trying to gain PR?

As to the return of PR, I can only surmise that finally the effects of all the viral linking between blogs has finally faded away to nothing. Out of curiosity I have been checking Technorati ranks too (as this is included on the Google Chrome SEO plug-in). I used to have a huge 'authority' ranking for Technorati due entirely to viral links, but on all my blogs but one, I now have an authority of 1 - My creditcruncher blog has authority of 105 for some reason, but this also was something of a surprise, and Technorati no longer seem to show you the links that endorse your 'authority'...

It's interesting how PR and Technorati 'authority' were two things that drove my blog a few years ago, but now, they are merely incidental. what it comes down to is this:
Just do your thing the way you want to do it, follow your own goals rather than following the crowd - at least that way, if you don't make a breaktrhough, you will be at least doing what you want. Following the crowd however, is never going to result in individual success.

Associated links:
Looking for PageRank

PageRank explained
Be yourself

2 comments:

Ellie said...

My page rank went back up to 3! I am very excited.

jay said...

Wow. that's great - any idea when this happened??