Tuesday 27 July 2010

How to make a blog post

It is a while since I have posted any blogging tips, and I guess I am qualified to give advice after producing 814 posts on this blog over the last few years, not to mention the myriad posts on the four other blogs in the 'portfolio'...
My advice for writing a post is simple and to be fair, might not be applicable to those operating in a different 'sphere', but for what it's worth here are my tips:
  • On the whole, keep it short and simple - where you feel led to write in excess of 500 words or so, my advice would be to split the post up into separate posts to form a series.
  • Link similar posts together - like for the 'series' posts above, one one of my blogs (not so much with this one), I often put a 'similar posts' section at the end linking to related posts within the blog. To an extent this can also be done with tags, but I think if you take the trouble to link in two or three closely-related posts, your visitors are fairly likely to look at them.
  • Keep it positive - in general, readers will tolerate a differing view from their own as long as you remain positive, unless you have a 'rant' blog, I would steer clear of airing your more contraversial views, and also of negative views that you might have. It is fine to talk about your love for Manchester City, but not advised to say how much you despise Manchester United unless you deliberately aim to alienate those readers who might disagree.
Those are the first three tips that spring to mind, if any more ocur to me, I might even take my own advice and start a series...

No comments: