Wednesday 12 January 2011

Still addicted to eBay...

When the majority of ones on-line earnings arrive via PayPal, it is just too much of a temptation to flick between PayPal and eBay all day... Rarely a day goes by now when I am NOT bidding for something or other. I have reached to the stage where I am actually disappointed if there is nothing in the 'bidding' section that I am not actually 'winning' - to the point where, if I have been outbid on something I immediately go and look for the same thing to bid on again....

I think a normal response might be to re-evaluate the situation and say 'OK, I won't be able to buy that within my price-range' - instead, I am continually bidding and being outbid in the vain hope that I will win the item. I suspect this is more of an automatic response, a desire to be constantly active in auctions than of a deep desire to purchase the given item.

You know how sometimes you see something and bid on a whim? well when I get outbid, the desire to have that item somehow increases, it is no longer a whim - it is a deep-seated desire to own that item. These are worrying signs that indicate to me that eBay and the pursuit of the unlikely bargain have (to some extent) taken over my life.

I am going to try and wean myself off - I am bidding (and winning) three items at the moment, when I am outbid (or maybe even win...), I faithfully promise myself NOT to bid on anything else for at least a week!
That way, I should be able to direct some funds into my own accounts rather than boosting the funds of PayPal and eBay...

No comments: