Thursday 27 January 2011

Blogging pains

I got a bit of a shock the other day when one of my blogs suddenly stopped being displayed. I don't know what the problem was, but it seems that it's back up again now - but I took some drastic action and exported the whole thing into a new site....
I figured it would be possible to export the blog and sure enough there is an export function in the settings. It downloaded an XML file to my PC. I started a new blogger blog and uploaded the XML file - all my posts were live and intact. I copied over some of the sidebar content and activated one of those new blogger templates that have been around for a little while now.
I am VERY pleased with the way it turned out. In the settings, I simply entered the 'dot com' domain that I wanted this blog to use, and because the domain was already 'pointing' at the blogspot servers, it instantly identified the new site.
I have always been in the habit of hacking some of the template settings, and I have yet to see what changes I need to make in the HTML editor, but my overall first impression of the new blogger templates has been very pleasant. They are quick and easy to edit, apply themselves very quickly and give very pleasing results. If you want to see the facelifted blog, feel free to visit my 'reallytraveling' travel website.

No comments: