Sunday 28 November 2010

Goodbye Ellie


I have been blogging and trying to make a little extra on the internet since about 2006. Back when I started, I hooked up with a number of people who were all investigating the potential of the internet - some of whom I am still in contact with 4 years later.
It has been fascinating to see how these different characters have been able to express themselves using the broad canvas that the internet offers. Each person has started from a similar point as me, and has ploughed their own furrow along strands of the world wide web.

One such individual was Ellie Harrison (AKA. Elmyra Jemison) of one of my favourite blogs: ThePinkC. Ellie was an original 'Geek girl', establishing the rights for girls to love gadgets too... Her writing style was both friendly and knowledgeable, her posts were always well thought-out and shared her personality as well as her experiences.
Yesterday I found out that Ellie had suddenly and unexpectedly passed away, she had not long turned thirty.
I cannot say that she was a close friend because internet acquaintances have a different connection than that of a conventional friend, yet I held Ellie in high regard, and I will miss her comments on my blog, the occasional e-mail, constant twitter updates and reading her contributions to the blogging world.
Her sister 'HarriMac' was a regular contributor to ThePinkC, and has vowed, along with other members of her family to continue posting on Ellie's blog. It's hard to express grief for someone you only know via the internet, but as a 40-something man, I don't mind admitting that I shed a few tears for Ellie. My heart goes out to her friends and family, I am finding it difficult to write any more for now... Goodbye Ellie, God Bless...

1 comment:

HarriMac said...

Thanks so much for being Ellie's friend. I am glad, as always, to know that she was loved by many people. May your admiration of her help push you to new heights.