Saturday 22 December 2012

Relaxing at Christmas


I am not good at relaxing, I find it really hard to switch off even when it is holiday time. I have however recently realised that I do have a method of unwinding that works quite well for me.
I have always been keen on reading, and it does force me to sit down and relax with a coffee or glass of wine. My favourite writer is Charles Dickens, I have read pretty much every book he wrote, and I am now starting to read them again.

I recently picked up 'Nicholas Nickleby' and have been reading it at odd moments over the last week or so - I firmly intend to find more time over the Christmas break to read more, when I finish that particular book, I have a whole host of other Dickens books that I can re-read. When I originally read the Dickens books, I read them all one after the other, so consequently I find it difficult to recall what happened in each book.

The main purpose of re-reading is to see if I can better remember the books and the characters afterwards.
I also read most of Thomas Hardy's books, but am not as keen on him as a storyteller, as his stories are generally darker and depressing. My modern favourite is John Grisham, I enjoy all of his books and notice that there is a new one out in time for Christmas...

No comments: