Monday 28 June 2010

Streeeetched


'Stretched' certainly describes how I feel at the moment, not only by the demands of the day job, but by all the 'projects' that I have on the go...

I have an SEO project that I wanted to develop, I created the first site, but my intention was to develop 'sister' sites too in order to guage the impact of combined SEO techniques over a group of sites effectively 'supporting' each other... This is on hold due to pressures of other projects, plus the site I created is kind of self-sustaining now and will make a small profit even if I don't touch it... I still feel that I will come back to this at a later date - but even if I don't, I have definitely learned a few things.

I have some updates to do on older sites that I am still trying to make my mind up on - primarily this is a face-lift for the site, but I have used the opportunity to make some strategic changes which could see me split the site over several domains. The truth is that domains are cheap, and splitting a site up and cross-linking could give an SEO boost. Added to this, I have lost page-rank on this site in the past, nothing I have been able to do has restored it, so I may resort to just using a totally different domain and re-thinking the whole project. Linked into this, is a new project that I want to pursue (when I have the time) which will involve selling some open-source software and an associated PDF guide.

I have yet another project that is almost ready to launch (this is the one that has been occupying my time lately). It will be a service for building and hosting websites which I am going to aim at local businesses. If this attracts some interest, then it could potentially take up a lot of my time which will once more prevent me from pursuing the lapsed projects....

What it is teaching me (or maybe re-teaching me, as I have talked about this before) is to carefully discern which projects are worth spending time on, which projects are not working, and which projects could work if a totally new approach is taken. There are a couple of blogs that I have been blatantly neglecting - this tells me that they are off my radar a bit (and therefore I am justified in trying to sell the domains...)

No comments: