Tuesday 29 June 2010

Scanning software

I have long been running a 'paperless' office at home running the scanning software that came with my combi-printer. If you don't have suitable software for organising scans, then I can thoroughly recommend doing an internet search and seeing what is available. Using this software, I am able to record every document we receive and happily get rid of the original, safe in the knowledge that I have an electronic copy at my disposal 24 hours a day (fully backed up onto my new NAS network storage of course).
Due to privacy issues, we tend to destroy anything with personal information on it (even merely our address) making it essential that we are able to recall important documents at a couple of mouse clicks.
We actually burn all scanned documentation in an open fire, and if you think that is a bit extreme, my wife and I have been attempted victims of identity theft even before it was fashionable! Our data was taken from the electoral role - they were able to guess our age somehow, but importantly did not know our actual birth dates, so their information did not tie up properly. This is why I never give my correct date of birth except for things like tax and driving licence, insurance etc... If a website asks for my date of birth, I use a bogus date because they don't NEED to know, and I do NEED to keep that information private.

No comments: