Sunday 28 August 2011

Door Steppers - Part two

Part two of my rant against doorstepping companies using shady tactics to get a sale - these are my 'scripts' that you can use to throw the salesperson off balance..

knock knock...
Salesperson: Hi there, I won't take a moment of your time, I am just calling to see if you got your grant?
Me: I see - what is your name please (take badge, write down name and company - this has already halted the script and put you in charge of asking the next question - use as many from the list below as you think appropriate...)


  • Does (energy company) think they have sent me a grant? (pen poised for writing any response down...)


  • Does (energy company) approve of your technique of implying that I should have had a grant when it is clear that they should be fully aware that a grant has not been sent?

  • So you are asking me if I have received a grant, when you have no way of knowing that I would qualify for it - Do you know what mis-selling is?

  • Do you think (energy company) know that you are using a mis-leading technique to sell their products


  • Do you understand that some people might be mis-led by your implication that they should be receiving a grant?
I am sure after you have fired a couple of these questions out, your visitor will not stay too long on your doorstep - you could even follow it up by following your hapless visitor down the street to see how they get on with your neighbours - you could offer suggestions like 'it's all made up', 'There's not actually a grant, 'It's all a bit of a con..' stuff like that. If this seems a little harsh, the reason I think this type of response is justified, is that vulnerable people will be mis-led into parting with their cash - nobody is ever going to sell anything to me on the doorstep - it's the elderly and those who are too trusting that we need to protect from this type of approach.

Hopefully other companies will follow the example set by British Gas, that's not to say that I think BG is being particularly honourable about this, I just think they've been found out and have consequently changed their tactics.

No comments: