Friday 12 September 2008

Bookworm

Recently I seem to spend a lot of my spare time taking my 'spare' PC apart and trying to make it better, or 'Googling' for articles that hep me understand how I can 'fix' it. I am one of those that like to badger away at something, so I will not be satisfied until it is the best I can make it.
This has a detrimental effect on other things I should be doing, such as the long list of DIY tasks for the house and garden.
What also suffers is my reading, I take a similar approach to reading as I do to any other task, once I start I like to devour the book as quickly as possible and generally get really caught up in the story. I also like to find the books from a single author and try to read them all. In this way I have read pretty much everything by Charles Dickens, Thomas Hardy and by John Grisham. I read them so intently that I am always disappointed when they end (apart from the Thomas Hardy ones, they are so depressing that I often want them to end sooner but I persevere nonetheless...).
Despite the fact that I was really bad at English Literature at school, at least a grounding was provided so that I could get 'into' books later in life when I had become a bit more patient. I believe there are therapeutic properties in calmly sitting down and reading a good book too.
In truth, I probably haven't read a book for more than a year - How about you? What sort of books do you read? Does it say something about you?

No comments: