Monday 24 August 2009

The PC saga continues...

In a mad moment yesterday I went and bought a dual-core CPU for my 'spare' socket 939 PC. Actually, it was not a bad deal at just under £40 for a 2.2GHz dual core including heatsink and fan. This should go straight into my recently purchased mobo, and the current 2.2GHz single core can replace the 1.8GHz CPU in my main PC. This should then give me a complete 'redundant' set-up of my old 'suspect' mobo and a 1.8GHz CPU plus heatsink and fan which I will combine with a spare hard-drive and some RAM to see if I can get the mobo working properly with a fresh operating system install. If it works I will take some screen-shots and flog the mobo and CPU on eBay in an effort to recover some of the recent spending spree... However I spent £2.88 more than I had in my PayPal account so will have to wait for more funds to come in before I can afford to by some thermal paste to do the CPU installs...
I really really MUST get some stuff onto eBay soon, I think I have something like three motherboards of historical interest up in my loft already each of them with CPU's, I have more CDROM drives than is entirely necessary plus a plethora of junk such as 56k modems, network cards and the like....

No comments: