Friday 14 August 2009

Backups

There should be no need to stress the point that backups are a necessity for anyone using a PC for anything other than playing games, the debate should only be about HOW the backups are made. I have two external drives that I use for backup, but I find that they seem to fill up awfully quickly even though the two combined add up to over 400GB of hard drive space.
I have just spent most of today moving data from the backup drive to DVD's so that I can erase the files and start again.
There is another methods of backup that I have been considering, online backup not only offers me a flexible alternative, but gives me access to the files from any PC on the internet.
'Better safe than sorry' is a good philosophy when it comes to backup and there are good reasons to have an online remote backup even if you have adequate space on local hard-drives. If you have a fire, or your PC and peripherals are stolen, then your local backups are lost along with your PC equipment, but an online solution remains intact.

No comments: