Monday 7 January 2013

English Language

15 reasons why English is hard to learn...

  1. The bandage was wound around the wound
  2. the farm was used to produce produce
  3. the dump was so full they had to refuse any more refuse
  4. we must polish the polish jug
  5. he could lead if he would get the lead out
  6. he decided to desert his dessert in the desert
  7. there is no time like the present to present your present
  8. I do not object to the object
  9. the insurance proved to be invalid for this invalid
  10. there was an almighty row about how to row the boat
  11. we were too close to the door to close it
  12. a buck does notice when does are present
  13. the farmer taught his sow to sow seeds
  14. the wind was too strong to wind the sail in
  15. I shed a tear when I saw the tear in the curtain
This is just a small selection of the many anomalies in the English language, once again I marvel at the ability of others to speak my native tongue, and am embarrassed at my lack of competence in other languages.

No comments: