Sunday 22 May 2011

Saving money

I have been a keen advocate of the idea that saving money is actually one of the quickest ways to make money - it takes a split second to save money, but a lot longer to create revenue.
I was keen to see a TV program this week that was supposed to be full of money-saving tips, but it turned out to be very disappointing. Anyone that knows anything about frugal living, does not need to be told that a good way to save money is to buy 2 for 1 pizza! If you are buying take-out pizza, then you are not living frugally in the first place. Buying your way out of debt sound more like a political solution rather than an actual practical one...

I have, however, discovered a way to save myself a large chunk of money in the long-term. We have had one of those electricity 'meters' that your energy providers send out - it shows you how many Watts you are using at any given moment in the house. I used it to discover that my two PCs left on all night were costing about 5 pence per hour. Even if switched off for six hours every night for six hours, that's a saving of 30 pence per day - at least £2 per week, over £100 a year...
Admittedly, I am sure a lot of people routinely switch their PC's off - but if you don't you are probably losing about £50 a year for each one left on overnight.

To be fair the TV program did have one good tip - this concerned using a thermos flask to keep tea warm for hours at a time - we actually do store up 'spare' hot water in a flask every time we boil the kettle, so I didn't learn anything - but at least they did offer one thing that was practical and actually could save money.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I watched this program too and thought that some of the tips were rather out of date and sadly none of which were any use for me.

However, I have also recently got an electric monitor and already the family are getting far better at switching off their computers at night and turning off unnecessary lights. With our electric at £68 a month we could certainly do with reducing it!