Tuesday 13 January 2009

PageRank punishment

I have noticed that in the last week or so, some of my newer blogs that had PR, have been slapped presumably for carrying PPP or associated paid to blog posts. I have only done a few paid posts on these blogs but it seems that these few posts have had an effect on PageRank.
I had two blogs which had started to build up PR, one was ranked 2, the other 1 - these have lost a ranking point each. Not a huge problem you would have thought except that once more the opportunities that I was getting for these blogs have depleted from an average offering of between 8-12 posts each time I logged into PPP, (usually about four actually available) to currently about 4 (one of which is available). So ironically, it is the taking part in PPP which is lessening the opportunities I am offered.

There are doubtless several ways in which Google can 'detect' PPP opps, firstly there is the tinyURL link that you sometimes have to use - these could easily be sniffed out by Google. then there is the fact that the jobs are so specific with the link requirements, that using the 'link:' search function would throw up all the links that had been put on the internet in the duration of the opp on PPP. Who's to say that there are not Google employees with accounts at PPP using the information from each oppotunity to search for paid bloggers??
The upshot is that the more PPP you do the less likely you will be able to do PPP again because your PR will come down and opps will dry up.

No such worries with PayU2Blog thankfully as the jobs keep coming regardless of PR - there was a bit of a rush before Christmas, and it has been quiet since, but I noticed a few more PU2B opps today so I will have something to do at the weekend...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem as you. I had two blogs consistently rated as 2/10, one got slashed to 0 and the other to 1, and it's put a kink in my PPP income! It's so annoying. I also love payu2blog who are so amazingly consistent - and always on time or early with payment. Did you see that today, PPP are offering $1 and $0.50 opps? *Total* waste of time if you ask me, and only 50 words required, so will no doubt drag ranking down very quickly!

jay said...

I just noticed a message on PU2B about it... the good ol' days of decent paid posting have been well and truly quashed by Google - thanks for your comments