Saturday 12 January 2008

Negative comments

Occasionally, but happily not frequently.. a negative or rude comment is left on a blog - I was prompted to think about this when I saw some stupid comments on a very eminent blog just yesterday. I have one or two and at the time was disturbed by this approach in what is generally a very positive environment. I find the blogosphere to be generally full of enthusiastic and supportive people, often willing to help and give great advice. I guess like any walk of life, you sometimes come across the occasional idiot.
One comment I received had criticised my design capabilities which is always going to be a matter of personal subjective opinion. I was prompted to visit the site of the commenter and was greeted by a blog with a sum total of two posts clearly written by someone who was probably not old enough to drive. That's when I became more aware that of course there are some very young bloggers out there and, like the kids that might shout something rude across the street then run away if you turn to look at them... they do not always use a level of mature etiquette that the majority of bloggers do.
So the lessons learned are:
  • Don't let it bug you if a 'kid' leaves a rude comment
  • When commenting, be helpful even if you need to give positive criticism
  • Even the best bloggers get idiots commenting on their blog, and are not afraid to leave the comments in place - why? because they are so popular, they can rely on at least four of their loyal readers to post indignant replies...
A comment is a comment after all...

No comments: