Sunday 19 April 2009

Open Office free software

I started posting about free software some time ago and the array of software available has now reached a point where there is little need to buy any software at all.
Open Office as an alternative to Microsoft Office has been around for a while now, but I recently installed it on a new PC I have been building as my copy of MS Office is about 10 years out of date. The beauty of this suite of programs is that they are compatible with the most of the Microsoft suite of programs, and more than that, they offer an in-built 'export to PDF' functionality which makes them a more attractive proposition to many users. The full suite includes writing programs, spreadsheets, presentation programs a total of six programs in all.
So far I have tried opening Excel sheets (which required editing open office settings to allow Macro's) and editing and colorising pictures using 'Open Draw'.
I have done nothing so far other than scratch the surface of the offerings from Open Office, but at this stage, the signs are good and I fully expect that these programs will be able to seamlessly replace Microsoft Office once I have played with their functionality a little.

No comments: